[GRASS-dev] is it time to release GRASS71?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:43:31 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I think we make some promises regarding 7.0 and long term support
> release in
> > the announcements. How this goes together with not planning 7.0.5?
>
> 7.2 will become LTS. Otherwise we would need to maintain 3 branches -
> trunk, releasebranch_7_2 and releasebranch_7_0. Let's try to maintain
> two branches and not more, so trunk and latest release branch. Just 2
> my cents, Martin

The announcements say "As a stable release 7.0 enjoys *long-term support*."
But we don't have any unstable releases (e.g. skipping 7.1) and long-term
support ends as soon as the new release is available, so it may be a year
or two but nothing like Ubuntu LTS. I agree that we should limit the
maintained branches and changes to old branches but we should be clear
about it, so users know what to expect.