[GRASS-dev] Logo and other graphics

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 02:21:00 PST 2016

On 24-02-16 19:47, Vincent Bain wrote:
> Hello Luca
>
> yes we've been working on that for several months now (see below latest
> developments pointed out by Vaclav). And any advice or contribution is
> welcome !
>
> Regarding the online documentation, I'm not a crack of css, but the
> effort to wrap up things in a visually coherent manner (e.g. typographic
> rules, logo display, colors) shouldn't be huge.
>
> Enjoy Paris!
> Vincent.
>
> Le mercredi 24 février 2016 à 09:49 -0500, Vaclav Petras a écrit :
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 6:31 AM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>          Regards from Paris, tomorrow will come a graphic designer here
>>          at the
>>          code sprint, are you interested in something related to GRASS?
>>

>> Vincent recently unified the logo, the startup window banner and the
>> GUI splash screen image. This needs just commit to trunk and 70, I
>> think.
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning#a7.0.4tobebackported
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2016-January/078528.html
>>

>> One of the things we need renewed are manual pages. Particularly,
>> index page, alternatively graphical index page (and its graphics!) and
>> individual module pages. Usability and the actual CSS are necessary
>> steps but the graphical design is an important part of it.
>>

>> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/
>> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/graphical_index.html
I hadn't seen the graphical index yet. Great work! I only wonder about
the purpose of the images and whether the current ones serve that
purpose. I would say a graphical index serves to provide a quick
overview, whereby each graphic should convey an idea of what that module
/ category. That works for some (e.g., raster, vector), but less for
others (database, display). It is a tough one, I know, but perhaps for
some one could consider some more standard symbols? For example, there
is a fairly standard symbol for databases, that could be incorporated in
the graphic for Database.  Coincidentally, I stumbled on this website of
TNTmips (a software I used in the distant past), and they have a similar
'graphical' overview, also showing (i.m.o.) how hard it is to come up
with good graphics to represent the different categories. I am not
really (really not) qualified to come with any concrete graphics, but
perhaps it would be possible to send out a call for graphics / ideas on
the general grass email list (and on Google+ GRASS page) to get feedback
from the creative individuals amongst us (if not already done)?