[GRASS-dev] is it time to release GRASS71?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 15:02:15 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2016 5:05 PM, "Vaclav Petras" <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> this system is used also by QGIS, MapServer, moreover it's part of
>>> GRASS history (with one exception - 6.3). I have no strong option
>>> about that. I would say let's follow our tradition to use odd numbers
>>> for dev versions. Martin
>>

>> The fact that other OSGeo projects are using it is quite convincing. But
>> anyway, I don't see a point in simply skipping a version number.
>
> Well, we are using 7.1 visibly for so long as unstable/dev version.
> So it sounds perfectly fine to call the result 7.2.

Please be aware that because of many partial backports, relbr70 is 1)
unstable (as was G6.4) and is in some regards less reliable than
trunk. Stable typically means backport only of critical bugxfixes.
Therefore, in order to stick with the odd/even numbering meaning, G7
should have been released immediately as G71 to indicate a dev
version. Not unstable (the code base will remain stable) but a dev
version (testing new features). According to the odd/even numbering
scheme, current trunk should be released as G7.3 and not G7.2 because
it introduces new features.

Markus M