[GRASS-dev] Max Memory usage limit

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jan 12 00:20:03 PST 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos
<pmav99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just out of curiosity, why is there an upper limit to the memory we can use
> on operations like r.in.gdal?

The question is too generic, so I'll refer to r.in.gdal only:
To my knowledge there is a GDAL imposed CACHE limit

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/r.in.gdal/main.c#L271

271    /* default GDAL memory cache size appears to be only 40 MiB,
slowing down r.in.gdal */
272    if (parm.memory->answer && *parm.memory->answer) {
273           /* TODO: GDALGetCacheMax() overflows at 2GiB, implement
use of GDALSetCacheMax64() */
274           GDALSetCacheMax(atol(parm.memory->answer) * 1024 * 1024);

but concerning the data you can import I am not aware of any limit.

Maybe this page is of interest to you:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Large_raster_data_processing

What is exactly your problem you encountered?

Markus