[GRASS-dev] GRASS on OS X El Capitan - slowly dying or is something happening?

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Wed Jan 20 06:37:18 PST 2016

Hi

Sorry for this blunt subject - but I am wondering if anybody is looking
at supporting El Capitan without having to disable SIP (System Integrity
Protection). SIP is likely to stay, and for many (including myself)
disabling SIP is not really an option as it goes to deep into the OS.

So my personal opinion: if GRASS want's to stay relevant on OS X, a
solution needs to be found to compile and install it on a mac as easy
as it was before (homebrew, which I relly like, and also the frameworks
From  William Kyngesburye and michael Barton?)

I mean - I have found a way of compiling GRASS 7.1 (see my post from the
07 January in the topic "SUCCESS (running): Compiling grass 7 svn trunk
on OS X El Capitan") which gives me a working GRASS GIS including GUI,
but this is not really a solution.

I asked for help but did not get any response (subject "grass 7 svn
trunk on OS X El Capitan - need help").

So I would like to know if somebody would be prepared to help or at
least tell me if I am following the wrong track. I am not very
experienced in compiling / linking / make files but I have a basic
understanding.

I simply refuse to accept that GRASS will die for OSX users (>= El
Capitan).

Cheers,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University