[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2878: "v.in.ogr -i" throws an error when importing a GeoJSON file containing a single point.

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Jan 27 08:03:52 PST 2016

#2878: "v.in.ogr -i" throws an error when importing a GeoJSON file containing a
single point.
-------------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  pmav99             |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect             |     Status:  new
 Platform:  Unspecified        |
-------------------------------+-------------------------
 I was trying to use `v.import` and I think I run into a bug. AFAIK the
 error is caused by `v.in.ogr -i`.

 In this container I was using [67592] so this should be present in
 `7.0.3`.

 These are the steps to reproduce it:

 1. Create a file with the following contents and save it e.g. as
 `~/input.json`:
 {{{#!python
 {
     "type": "MultiPoint",
     "coordinates": [
         [
             -105.01621,
             39.57422
         ],
         [
             -80.6665134,
             35.0539943
         ]
     ]
 }
 }}}
 2. Create a new GRASS location:
 {{{
 grassuser at 4b5e00241b91:~$ grass -e -c EPSG:4326 ~/locations/epsg_4326
 WARNING: Default locale settings are missing. GRASS running with C locale.
 WARNING: Searched for a web browser, but none found
 Cleaning up temporary files...
 Creating new GRASS GIS location/mapset...
 Cleaning up temporary files...
 }}}
 3. Start a new GRASS session using the location you just created.
 {{{
 grassuser at 4b5e00241b91:~$ grass --text ~/locations/epsg_4326/PERMANENT/
 WARNING: Default locale settings are missing. GRASS running with C locale.
 WARNING: Searched for a web browser, but none found
 Cleaning up temporary files...
 Starting GRASS GIS...
 GRASS 7.0.3svn (epsg_4326):~ >
 }}}
 4. Create a new location using the JSON file you created on step 1:
 {{{
 GRASS 7.0.3svn (epsg_4326):~ > v.in.ogr input=~/my_input.json -i
 location=example_multi_point
 WARNING: All available OGR layers will be imported into vector map
          <OGRGeoJSON>
 Location <example_multi_point> created
 GRASS 7.0.3svn (epsg_4326):~ >
 }}}
 As we can see the location was created without problems.
 5. Replace the contents of the file we created on step 1 with the
 following snippet (in this case we are importing just a single point):
 {{{#!python
 {
     "type": "Point",
     "coordinates": [0, 0]
 }
 }}}

 6. Try to create a location using the new JSON file:
 {{{
 GRASS 7.0.3svn (epsg_4326):~ > v.in.ogr input=~/my_input.json -i
 location=example_single_point
 WARNING: All available OGR layers will be imported into vector map
          <OGRGeoJSON>
 Location <example_single_point> created
 ERROR: Syntax error in cell header
 }}}
 As you can see, even though the location gets created, we get an ERROR.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2878>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>