[GRASS-dev] Upcoming 7.2.0: review which addons to move to core

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Mon Jul 4 02:00:18 PDT 2016

Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>  The general criteria are
>  - code follows submission standards
>  - must be portable
>  - must be well documented with examples
>  - must be of interest to a wider audience
>
> I would add "well tested (i.e. very mature) or having somebody willing to fix it (soon) if needed".
>
> Related to that, I wonder if we should create some standard mechanism for introducing experimental things - things which might later show as unstable,
> not useful or buggy. For example, I introduced v.decimate which is now in 7.2 branch. It has its merit but I started to think that perhaps a different set of
> functions or interface can be more useful there. I wonder if I should just put [experimental - use with care] at the end of the module description.

I would add the following:

1) add [experimental] / [beta] / ... behind the in the menu
2) disable the experimental / beta / ... addons
3) add an option to enable all the experimental / beta / ... addons, which can than state
"experimental, might make your computer explode, use at own risk and only in
well ventilated rooms"...

Cheers,

Rainer