[GRASS-dev] Upcoming 7.2.0: review which addons to move to core

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 19:26:17 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> The general criteria are
> - code follows submission standards
> - must be portable
> - must be well documented with examples
> - must be of interest to a wider audience

I would add "well tested (i.e. very mature) or having somebody willing to
fix it (soon) if needed".

Related to that, I wonder if we should create some standard mechanism for
introducing experimental things - things which might later show as
unstable, not useful or buggy. For example, I introduced v.decimate which
is now in 7.2 branch. It has its merit but I started to think that perhaps
a different set of functions or interface can be more useful there. I
wonder if I should just put [experimental - use with care] at the end of
the module description.

This is out-of-topic here, but similarly we might want to introduce
something like [deprecated] for modules, options and flags.

Vaclav