[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3085: Batch import with import raster data tool does not recognize projection information

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 13:46:13 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 9:28 PM, GRASS GIS <trac at osgeo.org> wrote:

> #3085: Batch import with import raster data tool does not recognize
> projection
> information
> --------------------------+-------------------------
>   Reporter:  pvanbosgeo   |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
>       Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
>  Component:  Default      |    Version:  unspecified
> Resolution:               |   Keywords:
>        CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
> --------------------------+-------------------------
>
> Comment (by mlennert):
>
>  What exactly is the issue, here ?
>
>  I get the exact same window be it with one file or with a directory. It is
>  just an additional step to make you conscious about the fact that the
>  module will proceed with reprojecting the files. Just select the files you
>  are sure you want to import with reprojection and then proceed.

Sorry, my description might not have been clear. The Africlim data I refer
to above are in latlon, which I tried to import in a latlon location.
Importing one layer proceeds without problem (i.e., without the projection
window). Only when I try to import multiple layers using the directory
option I am presented with that projection window. But why reprojecting if
the projection of the layers matches that of the location (as evident from
the fact that one layer imports without need for reprojection).

In the example with the NC sample data set, I am exporting layers from the
location and importing them in the same location. This means the layers
should just import, without reprojection. When importing one layer (using
the file option) that is exactly what happens, the layer is imported. Like
above, only when importing multiple layers using the directory option, the
reprojection window is shown. Again, I see no reason why the layers should
be reprojected. The projection already matches that of the location
(obviously).