[GRASS-dev] Interest in GSoC 2016

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 02:24:21 PDT 2016

Hi Ondřej,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 7:45 PM,  <Ondra.Lobo at seznam.cz> wrote:
> My idea was to generalize GUI Code for Qt-based GUI. Nowadays, Qt (PyQt) is
> increasingly used (look at QGis, for example) and I think it would be better
> to have minimally the roots of GUI in Qt. It’s also much easier to maintain
> with new features. Work with design is also much more user-friendly. It
> seems that in the future, it can be nice shortcut to change something in the
> GUI.

I like the idea, and I think could be strategic for the long run,
especially because it is not clear to me if and when Phoenix (the
wxPython for python3) will be ready (and from my superficial
understanding of the GRASS problem on OS X El Captain Wx it seems part
of the issue), instead both pyQt and pySide support python3 (I think
we should build a GUI compatible with both binding. Consider that
GRASS is already working with Python3 (with except of the ctype stuff)
what it is critical (imho) it is the GUI.

I do like the idea of Vaclav to share a core of functionalities of the
GUI (between Wx, Qt, Jupyhter, etc). This shared functionalities
should go in /lib/python/grass/{gui|somethingelse}. This should allow
us to reduce duplication and the number of code that must be
maintained.

I think that we should also consider to split GRASS and its
functionalities, but I open a separate thread on this.

Best regards

Pietro