[GRASS-dev] Interest in GSoC 2016

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Mar 18 02:52:59 PDT 2016

Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ondřej,
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 7:45 PM,  <Ondra.Lobo at seznam.cz> wrote:
>> My idea was to generalize GUI Code for Qt-based GUI. Nowadays, Qt (PyQt) is
>> increasingly used (look at QGis, for example) and I think it would be better
>> to have minimally the roots of GUI in Qt. It’s also much easier to maintain
>> with new features. Work with design is also much more user-friendly. It
>> seems that in the future, it can be nice shortcut to change something in the
>> GUI.
>
> I like the idea, and I think could be strategic for the long run,
> especially because it is not clear to me if and when Phoenix (the
> wxPython for python3) will be ready (and from my superficial
> understanding of the GRASS problem on OS X El Captain Wx it seems part
> of the issue),

With my limited grasp of the grass internals and wxpython:

The main issue For El Capitan is the use of DYNLD_LIBRARY_PATH when
running binaries in /usr/bin or /bin directories (e.g. make). In the
case of homebrew (presumibly Macports as well), during compilation (I
can turn of SIP (System Integrity Progtection) on El Capitan, compile and
install, and enable it again, and it works) and in the case of the
binary compilation and running (as GRASS uses the shell which is in /usr/local/bin).