[GRASS-dev] Interest in GSoC 2016

massimo di stefano massimodisasha at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 05:46:43 PDT 2016

Hi Anna,

Depending on how much effort the implementation in Qt of the current rendering system will require
maybe is worth to explore new rendering tools.
Or design the gui code base in a way that will make the adoption of new rendering systems as easy as possible.
It is my understanding that the hardest part will be the development of tools to interact with the map canvas.

for the rendering I was thinking of 2 different approaches using library like vispy:

http://vispy.org/ <http://vispy.org/>

or datashader:

https://github.com/bokeh/datashader <https://github.com/bokeh/datashader>

the first is an OpenGL rendering system (smooth pan/zoom and continue rendering)
the second is suitable for large data (render billions of point without crashing the app)

I tried both with standard dataset.

vispy is an attractive library very fast rendering but I don’t know how much effort is required to implement
“mouse events like digitizing and other map canvas interactive tools”

datashader is more “matplotlib-like”, at an api level,
that should make the development of tools to interact with the map canvas a little easier.

I agree with you, a new rendering system can be coded outside GSoC, what you mentioned

> using the
> current rendering system and focusing on rewriting to qt plus
> refactoring of the current code

is indeed a lot of work for a single GSoC.
I’ve some experience with PyQt, and I’m willing to help in making this a successful idea.

Massimo.