[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2766: GUI not able to create dropdown lists of columns for more than one map or table

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu May 12 00:19:34 PDT 2016

#2766: GUI not able to create dropdown lists of columns for more than one map or
table
----------------------------+--------------------------
  Reporter:  lfurtkevicova  |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect         |     Status:  new
 Component:  wxGUI          |    Version:  7.0.1
Resolution:                 |   Keywords:  column lists
       CPU:  x86-64         |   Platform:  Linux
----------------------------+--------------------------

Comment (by mlennert):

 Replying to [comment:2 mlennert]:
 > Replying to [ticket:2766 lfurtkevicova]:
 > > Problem with joinig database table to a vector map table using
 v.db.join from gui:
 > > parameters `map`, `column` and `other_table` are OK, but it isn't
 possible to set `other_column`

 > This is a more general problem than only in v.db.join (see column and
 to_column in v.distance or points_column option in v.vect.stats for
 example): whenever you need to specify columns in two different maps, the
 GUI cannot handle this. Only the columns of one map are in the list. I'm
 no expert in the GUI, but I imagine the G_OPT_DB_COLUMN standard parser
 option looks for columns in the map defined by G_OPT_V_MAP or
 G_OPT_V_INPUT, but it can only handle one defined in this way.

 > This needs some fundamental solution in the wxgui, not a specific
 module.

 IIUC the code, the issue is in the UpdateThread class in
 gui/wxpython/gui_core/forms.py, where only one map is handled. But I don't
 have enough expertise of that code to go much further.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2766#comment:3>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>