[GRASS-dev] wxGUI programmer's manual ?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:55:25 PDT 2016

Hi Moritz,

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> Trying to understand how some of the code in the wxGUI works, I'm
> confronted with the absence of documentation of the wxGUI code.

Please, feel free to ask on mailing list if something is unclear.

> Yes, there are docstrings in the code, but what is lacking is a
> programmer's manual that describes the general logic and gives a more
> precise overview of what is done in the different files and classes.
>
> Is there anything like this out there ?

Yes:

cd grass/source/code
make sphinxdoc

I'm not sure if it is compiled to the online docs. But there is a good
reason it should not. It is not guaranteed API (unfortunately!), so only
people who know it and are prepared to make changes as need should use it
(perhaps we should discuss and officially state the policy). For
programming of GUI itself, you can compile it yourself, although it is less
convenient.

There is also:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WxGUI_Programming_Howto

which should be probably moved to Trac or the documentation itself.

> Otherwise this might be a worthwhile goal for a code sprint...

Great! It definitively needs improvement.

> I know that some would like to move the whole GUI to qt, but even so,

Let's not have this discussion in this thread but the replacement is not
happening just yet, so there is no reason to stop working on the current
GUI. Please see the log for gui/wxpython:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/log/grass/trunk/gui/wxpython?&rev=68424&limit=100

> documenting the wxgui code might help in constructing a new GUI as well.

Sure.

Best,
Vaclav