[GRASS-dev] Fwd: Re: Upcoming 7.2.0: review which addons to move to core

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Oct 7 04:26:03 PDT 2016

On 07/10/16 11:35, Blumentrath, Stefan wrote:
> Ahhh, yes, there was that branch of the discussion too...
>
> g.extension is great and I do not see any limit with that, esp. not
> for single user environments.
>
> However, on our server I download, compile and install centrally all
> addons from source using a script. Thus, the main perceivable
> difference between core modules and addons would be visibility in the
> GUI...
>
> For me personally, that is no issue. But people who start with GRASS
> likely often explore GRASS "graphically", thus a toolbox-approach
> would be very nice I think. Having an "Addons" entry in the menu (if
> there is space for that) where all installed addons register, would
> be a demonstration of existing addional functionality...

[...]

On 05/10/16 23:10, Anna Petrášová wrote:
 > Hmm, this is already implemented (several years I would say). Look
 > into the tab Modules in layer manager. At least we now know, that
 > nobody here is using it...

Yes, I have to admit that I rarely use the other tabs in the GUI, to my
own disadvantage most probably...

But maybe we can think more radically. Just as several OS have moved
away from the classical menu paradigm to search-based access to
functionalities (e.g. gnome-shell, etc), why not completely get rid of
the menus and only leave the modules tab as entry point ?

Again, just brainstorming...

Moritz