[GRASS-dev] Fwd: Re: Upcoming 7.2.0: review which addons to move to core

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Oct 7 01:41:50 PDT 2016

Hi again,

Interesting discussion!

With my user and amateur addon-developer perspective I would conclude that:
- we all agree that tests/unittests are very useful even if not "the silver bullet"
- things one does in "unittests" might also partly be done in the code of the module (e.g. check for a specific state of input or environment variables ...), so a requirement for unittest might have to go hand in hand with a requirement for "maturity" of the module?
- "unittests" can also differ a lot in complexity so it is probably not too easy to say which level of unit tests should be required for a new core module, and the presence of a test alone does not necessarily mean that a module is "well tested"...
- it might be a good starting point to "require" only "simple" unittests for new core modules in that sense that a unit test makes sure that at least examples from the manual work without throwing an error? That would at the same time test code and manual/documentation... There was the idea to use examples from the manual to auto-generate tests, was`nt it?
- with more tests on "higher level" modules, also "lower level functions" (e.g. library) might be covered. This could on the one hand help to trace (side) effect of changes on lower level functions, but on the other hand might require to also update all output-tests which were written based on that bogus library function, would not it?
- like some others here I never wrote a test for my addons, but I would be willing to learn! Here the simple examples Vaclav provided were very helpful, as for me as a rookie the more involved examples and the full documentation of the unittests are hard to understand. Maybe you can add a very minimalistic example to the test documentation that only checks (e.g. based on NC data set) that e.g. "r.example -g input=mymap" works without throwing an error?

And finally, Martins request regarding an RFC for "promoting modules to core" should not drown in the discussion about unittests (even if the latter probably is a precondition to the former)...

Cheers
Stefan

P.S.: For automatized tests of addons there might be a dependency issue, as a test-server would have to be equipped with all possible dependencies in order to be able to run the addons?