[GRASS-dev] Fwd: Re: Upcoming 7.2.0: review which addons to move to core

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 08:23:07 PDT 2016

On 7 October 2016 3:14:14 pm "Blumentrath, Stefan"
<Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Interesting discussion!
>
> With my user and amateur addon-developer perspective I would conclude that:
> - we all agree that tests/unittests are very useful even if not "the silver
> bullet"
> - things one does in "unittests" might also partly be done in the code of
> the module (e.g. check for a specific state of input or environment
> variables ...), so a requirement for unittest might have to go hand in hand
> with a requirement for "maturity" of the module?
> - "unittests" can also differ a lot in complexity so it is probably not too
> easy to say which level of unit tests should be required for a new core
> module, and the presence of a test alone does not necessarily mean that a
> module is "well tested"...
> - it might be a good starting point to "require" only "simple" unittests
> for new core modules in that sense that a unit test makes sure that at
> least examples from the manual work without throwing an error? That would
> at the same time test code and manual/documentation... There was the idea
> to use examples from the manual to auto-generate tests, was`nt it?
> - with more tests on "higher level" modules, also "lower level functions"
> (e.g. library) might be covered. This could on the one hand help to trace
> (side) effect of changes on lower level functions, but on the other hand
> might require to also update all output-tests which were written based on
> that bogus library function, would not it?
> - like some others here I never wrote a test for my addons, but I would be
> willing to learn!

Same here

Here the simple examples Vaclav provided were very helpful, as for me as a
rookie the more involved examples and the full documentation of the
unittests are hard to understand.

Again, same here

Maybe you can add a very minimalistic example to the test documentation
that only checks (e.g. based on NC data set) that e.g. "r.example -g
input=mymap" works without throwing an error?

+1