[GRASS-dev] Default behavior of g.list displaying all mapsets content

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 02:56:03 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 19/10/16 11:22, Margherita Di Leo wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> currently the default behavior of g.list is to display all the files
>> present in all mapsets (which corresponds to g.list mapset=*), without
>> indicating where they are.
>> I would very much prefer g.list mapset=. as a default behavior, ignoring
>> what there is in other mapsets.
>>

> -1
>
> For me the current default behaviour, i.e. showing maps of all mapsets in
> the current search path is much more useful.
>
> If this is really not possible, at least specifying the mapset where the
>> maps are, if different from the current.
>> Perhaps:
>>
>> g.list vect
>> vect1
>> vect2
>> PERMANENT
>> vect3
>>
>> or:
>>
>> g.list vect
>> vect1
>> vect2
>> PERMANENT/vect3
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> Have you seen the '-m' flag ?

Yes, thanks.

> And otherwise, the '-p' flag gives you pretty printed output by mapset.
>
> I guess we could discuss whether '-p' should be the default...

Yes indeed it is the 'default behavior' what I'm referring to

> There was a discussion about these questions on the ML at the time:
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2014-October/071381.html

I must have missed that, or perhaps I had no strong opinion at that time,
sorry about that.
The reasons I don't like the current behavior is that, on one side is not
much informative (the maps sitting in the current mapset are likely the
ones I want to access the names most often, for other maps I find it
intuitive to explicitly ask for), and on the other side if you happen to
have several maps in a couple of mapset you end up with an unreadable blob.

Thanks

--
Margherita Di Leo