[GRASS-dev] version difference between addon and GRASS core: automatic or only when relevant libraries change ?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 14 02:49:29 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> A colleague is using a dev version of GRASS 7.2 installed on windows.
> Trying to use a C-addon (r.object.geometry), he got an error about
> version mismatch between the installed GRASS revision and the revision
> of the GRASS base the addon was built against.

Yes, because AFAIK the addons are built against 7.0.
With the ucoming release of 7.2. I expect that this will become the
base for addon compilation on Windows. But Martin will know more.

> Does this message automatically appear when the revisions are
> different, or only if relevant libraries have changed between the
> revisions ? I imagine that the latter would not be easy, but does the
> former really have to lead to a fatal error ?

The libraries changed between 7.0.x and 7.2.x (see
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/7.2.0-News#Librarychanges).
To my knowledge no binary compatibility is possible when it comes to C code.

Markus