[GRASS-dev] version difference between addon and GRASS core: automatic or only when relevant libraries change ?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Wed Sep 14 03:08:06 PDT 2016

Markus Neteler wrote
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Moritz Lennert
> <

> mlennert at .worldonline

> > wrote:
>> A colleague is using a dev version of GRASS 7.2 installed on windows.
>> Trying to use a C-addon (r.object.geometry), he got an error about
>> version mismatch between the installed GRASS revision and the revision
>> of the GRASS base the addon was built against.
>
> Yes, because AFAIK the addons are built against 7.0.
> With the ucoming release of 7.2. I expect that this will become the
> base for addon compilation on Windows. But Martin will know more.
>
>> Does this message automatically appear when the revisions are
>> different, or only if relevant libraries have changed between the
>> revisions ? I imagine that the latter would not be easy, but does the
>> former really have to lead to a fatal error ?
>
> The libraries changed between 7.0.x and 7.2.x (see
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/7.2.0-News#Librarychanges).
> To my knowledge no binary compatibility is possible when it comes to C
> code.
>
> Markus

AFAIK the addons for Windows are compiled against the several branches and
trunk, E.g.

https://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass73/x86_64/addons/grass-7.3.svn/
Etc

But there seems to be some compiling /building issues as there are no
dailies available.

normally winGRASS addons are compiled against the correct revision.

-----
best regards
Helmut