[GRASS-dev] Adding an expert mode to the parser

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun Sep 25 23:52:56 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have been struggling with similar issues and solved them by writing a GRASS_BATCH_JOB script that I execute in parallel in different mapsets.
Thus, the approach Markus and Sören sketch looks very useful to me (even for people who are not on HPC).

Do you have more options / flags in mind than the region settings? Just asking to get a better idea about the amount of how module complexity may increase with the changes you plan?

If it is only region settings per module-call that should not be overwhelming for users. E.g., the QGIS-GRASS plugin (and I guess Processing too) has a button for «use region of this map» for every command with raster input, which is pointing in this direction (though not as sophisticated as your solution). And QGIS aimed at simplifying the interaction with GRASS analysis ;-).

In order to not blowing up the manual too much, one might write a compact standard description that points to g.region or a central, more detailed description of the new options, which will be the same for every module that uses them, would not they?

After you explained a bit more what you are after I do not really see a problem with this. In fact I am very positive!
But I have to admit that I did not understand the difference between --raster-region and --vector-region. Are you planning to implement some vector-tiles solution?

Cheers
Stefan