[GRASS-dev] GRASS-GIS 6.4.3 Error in GUI startup

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Apr 17 23:05:14 PDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Tung Nguyen <tungkttv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello GRASS dev,
>
> I'm using GRASS-GIS v6.4.3 (2013) on Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa but couldn't get
> the GUI to start. I have tried all solutions I could find to no avail.

On some machines, we are also using Linux Mint, in the last year the
same version.
Link below:

> What I have done so far
> - Uninstall (purge) and reinstall python-wxversion, python-wxgtk2.8 then
> grass-core, grass-dev & grass-gui
>
> Error message I got
>
> $ grass64
>
> Starting GRASS ...
> ERROR: wxGUI requires wxPython. No module named wxversion

Please check if all wx related packages are installed from the list
mentioned here:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Linux_Mint

Filtered, that would probably these here:
libwxbase3.0-dbg libwxbase3.0-dev libwxgtk3.0-dbg libwxgtk3.0-dev
python-wxgtk2.8 python-wxtools python-wxversion wx3.0-headers
wx-common

However, I used GRASS GIS 7 and not 6 on my Mint box.

Please consider to use G7 and not 6, due to the zillions of improvements [1].

Markus

[1]
* https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures
* https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/7.0.0-News