[GRASS-dev] g.gui.animation freezes when loading strds

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 14:29:25 PDT 2017

Hi Markus,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 8:34 PM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> the OS limit of the number of open files is given in
> /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> but that is irrelevant, what matters is the maximum allowed number of open files for the current user
>
> [cut]
>
> ulimit -n reports the maximum allowed number of open files for the current user, this is the relevant limit

Thank you for the clarification. In my system the user limit is 1024.

I can confirm that raise the current limit with:

```bash
$ ulimit -n 4096
```

fixed the problem.

> A solution to the error "Too many open files" would be to open the files/maps one at a time and closing them again, similar to the -z flag of r.series.

I was trying to understand where these file are opened, and it seems
to me that the python code is always opening and closing all the
files, It is not clear to me which ctypes function is just opening the
files without closing them.

Best regards

Pietro