[GRASS-dev] grass wiki: de-emphasize grass6

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 06:15:09 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Thanks for the update, Paulo! :)

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> I kept the link to https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/rgrass7
>> but what about merging it with R_statistics? If we do, can keep
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/spgrass6 as a page to go
>> for grass6 users.
>

> I'm not in favor of the subpage idea for user wiki (but I think others
> are), so I'm for merging it or creating a special page if it is important
> to highlight separately from the general idea.
>
> +1

+1 for merging! The rgrass7 content might well be merged with some edits
and beautifications in the "How to use" section of the R_statistics page,
no?

> (Does R+GRASS == rgrass? Or is also RQGIS?)
>
> I would limit this to R+GRASS. RQGIS is a whole different story.

yes, only GRASS & R

> In this case, it seems that overview page is needed and then a specific
> page. rgrass7 is quite long already.
>
> Merging it with r_statistics wouldn't make it that much longer, most what
> is on the r_statistics page is also on rgrass7 page. We can move the
> introduction on r_statistics to rgrass7, see if there is anything else
> worth moving, and that's it I think (about the name of such page, see
> below).
>
> When you are at it, also note that the wiki page name is "R statistics"
> which is not the name of the project, nor the way how the project refers to
> itself [1]:
>
> """
> What is R?
> R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
>
> The R environment
> R is an integrated suite of software facilities for data manipulation,
> calculation and graphical display.
> """
>
> => "R statistical environment" or Wikipedia's "R (programming language)"
> if you want to avoid just "R".
>
> One reason to use R<-->GRASS is that R adds statistical capabilities to
> GRASS. I guess this is why the pages was called R_statistics? But there are
> more possible reasons to use the two together. So, given that the page (and
> the rgrass7 page) is about using GRASS and R in conjunction, we could use
> the name 'GRASS-R', or more verbose, 'Using R with GRASS', or if possible
> in the url, 'GRASS<-->R'

Since it is possible to use R within GRASS and GRASS within R, what about
'GRASS_and_R' the same way we also have GRASS_and_Python [0]?

'GRASS<-->R' even if allowed seems, imho, too complex for a wikipage name.

my 2 cents :)

best,
Vero

[0] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Python