[GRASS-dev] grass wiki: de-emphasize grass6

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 02:34:51 PDT 2017

On 8/12/17 5:03 AM, Vaclav Petras wrote:
> Paulo,
>
> thanks so much for a needed update.
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Paulo van Breugel
>

>     I kept the link to
>     https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/rgrass7
>     <https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/rgrass7> but what
>     about merging it with R_statistics? If we do, can keep
>     https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/spgrass6
>     <https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/spgrass6> as a page
>     to go for grass6 users.
>

> I'm not in favor of the subpage idea for user wiki (but I think others
> are), so I'm for merging it or creating a special page if it is
> important to highlight separately from the general idea.

+1

> (Does R+GRASS == rgrass? Or is also RQGIS?)

I would limit this to R+GRASS. RQGIS is a whole different story.

> In this case, it seems that overview page is needed and then a
> specific page. rgrass7 is quite long already.

Merging it with r_statistics wouldn't make it that much longer, most
what is on the r_statistics page is also on rgrass7 page. We can move
the introduction on r_statistics to rgrass7, see if there is anything
else worth moving, and that's it I think (about the name of such page,
see below).

> When you are at it, also note that the wiki page name is "R
> statistics" which is not the name of the project, nor the way how the
> project refers to itself [1]:
>
> """
> What is R?
> R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
>
> The R environment
> R is an integrated suiteĀ of software facilities for data manipulation,
> calculation and graphical display.
> """
>
> => "R statistical environment" or Wikipedia's "R (programming
> language)" if you want to avoid just "R".

One reason to use R<-->GRASS is that R adds statistical capabilities to
GRASS. I guess this is why the pages was called R_statistics? But there
are more possible reasons to use the two together. So, given that the
page (and the rgrass7 page) is about using GRASS and R in conjunction,
we could use the name 'GRASS-R', or more verbose, 'Using R with GRASS',
or if possible in the url, 'GRASS<-->R'