[GRASS-dev] GRASS working under Mac El Capitan with SIP/rootless?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 19:54:22 PST 2017

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
wrote:

> Oddly, the only things I've run into that don't work so far are 3D mode,
> vector digitizer, and raster digitizer. The only errors are the following
> in the terminal at startup:
>
> Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
> GRASS 7.3.svn (nc_spm_08_grass7):~ > Unable to import pyGRASS:
> grass_gis.7.3.svn not found.
> Some functionality will be not accessible
>
> And the following in the console after startup:
>
> 3D view mode not available
>
> Reason: grass_gis.7.3.svn not found.
>
> Vector digitizer not available
>
> Reason: cannot import name GV_LINES
>
> Note that the wxGUI's vector digitizer is currently disabled
> (hopefully this will be fixed soon). Please keep an eye out
> for updated versions of GRASS. In the meantime you can use
> "v.digit" from the Develop Vector menu.
>
> The 3D mode error seems similar to the pyGRASS not importing error
> I'm not sure where GV_LINES comes from.
>
> Any ideas on this? If these turn out to be the only problems, we are close
> to finally getting this issue resolved.

This is likely caused by the fact that the dynamic libraries are not loaded
because the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored. If you disable SIP you will get
past that.

Anyway I don't understand why the modules are working (e.g. GRASS and GUI
starts) and ctypes are not (v digitizer, 3D, PyGRASS depend on ctypes
this issue. (It is actually the same for Homebrew as well.)

PyGRASS should not be touched during startup and in GUI, so I don't know
where "Unable to import pyGRASS" is coming from but that's a secondary
issue not spotted elsewhere (it is also an old version).

Vaclav