[GRASS-dev] wxGUI: align to resolution by default

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 06:19:02 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> > The above example does not set the region from two map layers (one
vector,
> > one raster), that would be g.region -p vector=vect_map raster=rast_map.
> > Instead, it sets the region extents from a vector and aligns the region
to a
> > raster. That is a big difference.
>
> yes, I am saying that this operation is not straightforward in wxGUI,
> user need to do several steps
>
> 1) set comp region from raster
> 2) go to settings, enable -a flag\
> 3) set comp region from vector
> 4) probably disable -a
>
> > IMHO, the GUI should not try to be too clever about how to adjust the
> > computational region, instead users should be clever about how to
adjust the
> > computational region because changed region settings can cause
unexpected
> > results.
>
> Hm, I added to wxGUI new item to "Set computational region from
> selected vector(s) align to raster" (r70276). This is enabled only
> when user selects vector(s) and one raster map together. If it make
> sense to you I will backport to relbr72.

How about two items:
- "Set computational region from selected map(s)" will set the region
extents to include all selected maps, irrespective of type.
- "Align region to selected raster" will align the region to a single
selected raster

Just to be safe, I usually do this two-step adjustment: first set the
extents, then set and/or align to the resolution.

Markus M