[GRASS-dev] Introduction for GSoC 2017

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 20:26:53 PDT 2017

Dear Moritz and students,

here are some of my ideas for these ideas. This is a good start. I think we
need enhancement ticket with use cases for each item.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> - A general vector interactive attribute table editor which pops
>   up an attribute editing form when you click on a vector map.
>   Currently, to do this, you have to go into digitizing mode.

This is what the original query dialog in GUI was doing, but then it was
replaced by something which is optimized for (ready only) queries and does
not allow editing. You need to specify how the editing dialog would be
connected to the current GUI; e.g. new button?

> In
>   addition, it would be great to be able to somehow (text input file ?)
>   be able to define the columns you see in the form so that you don't
>   have to scroll through tens of lines before you reach those that you
>   want to edit.

Is a text file the user friendly way you are looking for? Should this be
stored between GUI sessions?

> - A tool to attribute class values to raster objects. This is much
>   simpler and "just" a combination of GUI + r.what + form to add a
>   value + writing everything to a text file. In other words, it is the
>   current GUI raster interrogation tool enhanced to add a value and to
>   write info to a file.

This sounds like raster attribute table for GRASS GIS. This needs some
serious design.

There is more of these individual features which may be useful, e.g.
imagery group support in the Data tab or r.pack/r.unpack equivalent for
imagery groups. Also the GUI dialog which shows for (instead of) i.group
needs some improvements.

Rachit, Manan, and other students,

it is important that you look and work on some of existing tickets or even
find some problems or small possible enhancements by exploring the current
functionality.

An good example ticket is the one by Moritz:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3310

You can also do some general tickets to familiarize yourself with different
parts of the GRASS GIS code base, for example:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3314

Moritz and all,

in cases like this, when a GSoC idea can be split into a separate features
and they are reasonable feature requests (they wouldn't be part of the idea
otherwise, right?), it would be good if we create the appropriate tickets
for each of those. We did this last summer when we used keywords (tags)
`gsoc2016` and `cartography` for each ticket related to the GSoC
Cartography Improvements idea:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=assigned&status=
closed&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~gsoc2016+cartography

For this idea it could be e.g. `gsoc2017` and `ImageAnalysisGUI`, but
please suggest something better (it must be one word, no spaces).

Best,
Vaclav