[GRASS-dev] Introduction for GSoC 2017

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Mar 14 03:25:43 PDT 2017

Hi Rachit and welcome to GRASS GIS !

[CC'ing Manan as he was also interested in this topic]

Le Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:32:56 +0530,
Rachit Kansal <rachitkansal1995 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi, I'm Rachit Kansal, 4th year Computer Science student from BITS
> Pilani, India. I hope I'm not late to make the contact. I would like
> to give a small brief about myself.
>

> I am proficient in Python and have good experience in GUI programming
> using PyQT as well in GIS (specifically QGIS). I have developed
> couple of plugins for QGIS during my internship period at Indian
> Institute of Remote Sensing (ISRO)-Geoinformatics Department. ). I
> also have good experience with various python libraries like Numpy,
> Scipy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, Keras, Matplotllib, Scrapy, etc.
>

> I'm interested in contributing to the GRASS GIS for GSOC 17. I am
> looking forward to working on the project “Additional GUI tools for
> image analysis”.
>

> I would like to get further details regarding the project and what
> kind of new GUI tools are required?

Have you looked at [1] ?

As mentioned there, I see three main tasks:

- A general vector interactive attribute table editor which pops
  up an attribute editing form when you click on a vector map.
  Currently, to do this, you have to go into digitizing mode. In
  addition, it would be great to be able to somehow (text input file ?)
  be able to define the columns you see in the form so that you don't
  have to scroll through tens of lines before you reach those that you
  want to edit.
- A tool to attribute class values to raster objects. This is much
  simpler and "just" a combination of GUI + r.what + form to add a
  value + writing everything to a text file. In other words, it is the
  current GUI raster interrogation tool enhanced to add a value and to
  write info to a file.
- A tool to allow easy construction of rulesets for ruleset-based
  classification. This would be a front-end to r.mapcalc and/or
  v.db.update. It should allow the user to define a series of input
  bands/columns and threshold values for those.

Note that on the wiki, I also added a link to an open enhancement
ticket. Solving one or two tasks of that ticket is a good way to get
familiar with GRASS GUI development and would allow you to demonstrate
your programming skills in your application (or after your
application and before selection).

Moritz

[1]
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2017#AdditionalGUItoolsforimageanalysis