[GRASS-dev] Building GRASS dev - editing ld.so.conf

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue May 16 09:18:20 PDT 2017

On 16/05/17 17:58, Paul Schrum wrote:
> I am attempting to build GRASS on my machine and I suppose I am having
> trouble.  I am so bewildered by all of this I can't actually be sure.  I
> am posting to request help.  Here is my situation:
>
> I am new to GRASS development, and I am working on GSoC on integrating
> PDAL interoperability.   I have not yet set up my project's wiki page or
> I would link it in this sentence.
>
> I am running OSGeo-live on Oracle Virtual Box with my base OS being
> Windows 8.1.
>
> My mentor, Vashek Petras, directed me to start here:
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#Dependencies
> <https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#Dependencies>
> and work through the build procedure.  On that page, I am at the point
> which states,
>
> ensure that |/usr/local/lib| is added to |/etc/ld.so.conf| and ...
>
> Well I have not created /usr/local/lib, so will it create it if it is
> not present?  But more importantly, what is /etc/ls.so.conf.  I feel I
> need to understand what role this file plays before I start modifying
> it.  Currently it contains one single line:
>
> include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
>
> Also, I created a different dev path than /usr/local.  It is
> /home/user/Desktop/ALL/SourceModules/cpp
>
> and the proj directory resides there.  Should I create /usr/local/lib
> anyway?

If you skip the install command, you can also skip all this.

Just run grass directly from your build directory in which after
compilation you should have a bin/ directory (containing the GRASS GIS
startup script) and a dist.*/ directory containing all the rest.

Just call the binary in the bin/ directory to launch GRASS.

/usr/local/bin & /usr/local/lib is where the GRASS GIS files are
installed by default if you run "make install".

ld.so.conf is a file that contains the paths to libraries that programs
might need. By adding /usr/local/lib to that file and running ldconfig
(as root), you add all paths in that file (and in the files in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/) to the path where the system looks for libraries by
default.

But if you run GRASS directly from the build directory, this is not
necessary.

Moritz