[GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.4.0

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sun Nov 12 04:27:11 PST 2017

Le Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:28:46 +0200,
Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> a écrit :

> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>:
> > Hi Maris,
> >
> > v.profile still uses the old buffering library methods which has
> > quite a lot of issues.
>
> The best question then is why we are still shipping library methods
> that are *known* to be broken? If they are so broke, they must be
> changed to fail all the time to prevent end-users from getting wrong
> results.

Agreed. We are now busy deprecating buffer.c completely. Sorry that you
got bit by it, but v.profile has been around for so long...

> > As an example, I attach the output map of the following example:
> >
> > v.profile input=geonames_NC at PERMANENT output=- separator=comma dp=3
> > buffer=500 profile_map=roadsmajor at PERMANENT profile_where=cat=193
> > map_output=test_profile
> >
> > I also attach the equivalent v.buffer output:
> >
> > v.buffer -c roadsmajor where=cat=193 dist=500 out=buff500
> >
> > Would it be possible for you, Maris, to change to the GEOS method
> > used in v.buffer in order to get the same buffering output ?
>
> I can take a look at v.buffer to see how GEOS is used. Still I don't
> know how soon I'll have time for it :(

Another, intermediate option would be to use the functions in
buffer2.c, i.e. Vect_line_buffer2, which is what is used in v.buffer if
GEOS is not available. It has a slightly different API, with some new
outputs (holes), but shouldn't be too difficult to use in v.profile.

> I see. I would +1 for setting current GRASS buffer functions to call
> G_fatal_error till they get fixed or replaced by GEOS version.

v.profile is the only module that still uses Vect_line_buffer. Some
modules are using Vect_line_parallel and we are busy rewriting them to
use Vect_line_parallel2.

>I also
> would +1 to block 7.4.0 release till a final action is made (fatal
> error or a fix). Quality (correctness) should be our priority.

+1

Do you think you have the time to work on v.profile these days ?

Moritz