[GRASS-dev] All attempts to enable English language have failed. GRASS running with C locale. (trunk)

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sat Nov 25 03:33:13 PST 2017

Moritz Lennert wrote
> On 25/11/17 10:46, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
>> here a win 10 with german locale; setting preferences in GRASS to en,
>> then I
>> get:
>>
>> --------------
>> All attempts to enable English language have failed. GRASS running with C
>> locale.
>> If you observe UnicodeError in Python, install en_US.UTF-8 locale and
>> restart GRASS.
>> -------------
>>
>> what does this mean?
>
> See https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3441.

"install en_US.UTF-8 locale and restart GRASS."

from the #3441:

"My question was how widespread C.UTF-8 is as a locale present on machines.
"

all the things mentioned in the ticket and the message may work in *nix
environments, not sure that this  will work in win (e.g. [1], [2], ...) and
mac.

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4324542/what-is-the-windows-equivalent-for-en-us-utf-8-locale
[2]