[GRASS-dev] All attempts to enable English language have failed. GRASS running with C locale. (trunk)

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sun Nov 26 05:11:08 PST 2017

Maris Nartiss wrote

> hellik@

> >:
>> here a win 10 with german locale; setting preferences in GRASS to en,
>> then I
>> get:
>>
>> --------------
>> All attempts to enable English language have failed. GRASS running with C
>> locale.
>> If you observe UnicodeError in Python, install en_US.UTF-8 locale and
>> restart GRASS.
>> -------------
>>
>> what does this mean?
> It means that you want to run GRASS in a language that is not
> supported on your system. Attempts to switch GRASS + any related
> programs that GRASS might be calling to English have failed. Your
> GRASS session will run with C locale. It is not the same as en_US and
> thus, although you might see messages in English (due to fact that
> they are in English in the source code), it will not behave as it
> should for a proper (US) English language (i.e. sorting will be "A B C
> a b c" versus your expected "a A b B c C"). One more bad thing will be
> defaulting to ASCII encoding thus most likely causing a failure at the
> first encounter with "Österreich" (still "schadenfreude" will be
> fine). To enjoy a proper English experience in GRASS, you should
> install en_US.UTF-8 locale on your system. If you think – how QGIS
> manages to deal with it –, here GRASS modularity bites us, besides
> everything in QGIS-land is also not so fine with language switching.
>
> Unfortunately I do not have access to recent Windows boxes (I have a
> Vista VM), neither MacOS thus patches solving problems on those OSes
> will have to be provided by GRASS Windows and Mac developers.

r.category map=myrast at user1
1	österreich
2	schadenfreude
3	lokalität

at least this one works :-D

in theory, this language package could be installed in win 10:

English LanguagePack - Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems
(KB4046355) [en-US_LP]

in practice, it fails on my laptop ....

-----
best regards