[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1665: Grass SVN (51807) doesn’t launch: Path '…/<UNKNOWN>/<UNKNOWN>' doesn't exist

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Fri Aug 31 21:12:10 PDT 2018

#1665: Grass SVN (51807) doesn’t launch: Path '…/<UNKNOWN>/<UNKNOWN>' doesn't
exist
------------------------+-------------------------
  Reporter:  vince      |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect     |     Status:  closed
 Component:  Startup    |    Version:  svn-trunk
Resolution:  fixed      |   Keywords:
       CPU:  OSX/Intel  |   Platform:  MacOSX
------------------------+-------------------------
Changes (by wenzeslaus):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 The trunk (7.5/7.7) starts for me with no `~/.grass7` directory (a state
 which generates `<UNKNOWN>/<UNKNOWN>` internally) on Linux. I did some
 improvements in error handling there and there might have been more
 changes I don't recall. Currently, a nice error message is reported when
 starting in text mode (no GUI at all) and not providing mapset in the
 command line.

 {{{
 ERROR: Unable to start GRASS GIS. You have the choice to:
  - Launch the graphical user interface with the '-gui' switch
      grass75 -gui
  - Launch with path to the location/mapset as an argument
      grass75 /path/to/location/mapset`
  - Create a location with '-c' and launch in its PERMANENT mapset
      grass75 -c EPSG:number /path/to/location
      grass75 -c geofile /path/to/location
  - Create manually the GISRC file (/home/vpetras/.grass7/rc)
  - Use '--help' for further options
      grass75 --help
 See also: https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/helptext.html
 Exiting...