[GRASS-dev] problem with reading KML

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Feb 5 11:30:36 PST 2018

On lundi 5 février 2018 10:04:25 CET Anna Petrášová wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into a weird problem with KML with 3D line, v.import failed when
> reprojecting it:
>
> WARNING: pj_transform() failed: latitude or longitude exceeded limits
>
> This happened with GRASS 7.4.0 64bit (GDAL 2.2.3) on Windows 10, on my
> Ubuntu with latest GRASS it works (GDAL 2.2.1). Weird thing is that I
> installed the same version of GRASS on Windows 10 virtual machine and
> there it worked without problems.

I can indeed replicate with the LIBKML driver on Windows (probably by libkml itself), and this
is specific to this combination. From testing, it appears that the presence of newline
+tabulations without spaces between coordinate triplets is the cause of the issue, where
libkml doesn't detect properly the start of the x coordinate of the new triplet and mangles it
with the z of the previous one.

As a workaround, you might define OGR_SKIP=LIBKML as configuration option to exclude the
LIBKML driver and use the "old" KML one that has not that issue.

Or edit the file to replace tabulations by spaces.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com