[GRASS-dev] GSOC 2018 project for GRASS GIS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 28 06:38:33 PST 2018

Hi Sanjeet,

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 3:08 AM, Sanjeet <edu.sanjeet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Sanjeet Bhatti and I am an MSc. student in Computer Science
> from University of Saskatchewan, Canada. I was going through the list
> of GSOC project ideas of GRASS GIS and I found one that caught my
> interest: "Full support of Python 3 in GRASS GIS".

That's great and for sure an important topic to work on!

> I am familiar with python programming as well as have a basic
> understanding of wxPython. Currently, I am setting up my development
> environment by checking out the development branch (trunk) of GRASS 7
> available at this link[0].
> Are there any initial tasks that I should be doing apart from listing
> the generally used solutions for migrating from Python 2 to 3? And,
> where do I need to submit these?

There are some tickets flagged with "python3":
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=!closed&keywords=~python3

I suppose that more tickets should carry that keyword but they need to
be identified by scanning those with "python" keyword.

The topic suggestions are posted here (as you know):
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2018

but did you already check this page?
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Recommendations_for_Students

Best