[GRASS-dev] GSOC 2018 project for GRASS GIS

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:18:48 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi Sanjeet,
>
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 3:08 AM, Sanjeet <edu.sanjeet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My name is Sanjeet Bhatti and I am an MSc. student in Computer Science
> > from University of Saskatchewan, Canada. I was going through the list
> > of GSOC project ideas of GRASS GIS and I found one that caught my
> > interest: "Full support of Python 3 in GRASS GIS".
>
> That's great and for sure an important topic to work on!
>
> > I am familiar with python programming as well as have a basic
> > understanding of wxPython. Currently, I am setting up my development
> > environment by checking out the development branch (trunk) of GRASS 7
> > available at this link[0].
> > Are there any initial tasks that I should be doing apart from listing
> > the generally used solutions for migrating from Python 2 to 3? And,
> > where do I need to submit these?
>
> There are some tickets flagged with "python3":
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=!closed&keywords=~python3

What is the policy about the python shebang explained in python PEP 394
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

-->
In order to tolerate differences across platforms, all new code that needs
to invoke the Python interpreter should not specify python, but rather
should specify either python2 or python3 (or the more specific python2.x
and python3.x versions; see the Migration Notes). This distinction should
be made in shebangs, when invoking from a shell script, when invoking via
the system() call, or when invoking in any other context.
<--

... unless scripts are deliberately written to be source compatible with
both Python 2.x and 3.x

Currently packagers replace python with python2 in the shebang of GRASS
scripts.

Markus M

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Recommendations_for_Students