[GRASS-dev] r.series with file option - too many files open

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 07:39:28 PST 2018

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 4:12 PM, Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreugel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I am trying to run r.series with a large number of input maps (5000).
Given the large number of input maps, I am using the 'file' option.

> GRASS 7.5.svn (latlon):~ > r.series output=speciescount method=sum
file=test.txt

> I get the warning:
>
> WARNING: G__open(read): Unable to open
>
>          '/home/paulo/Data/HASdata/latlon/redlist/cellhd/Eulemur_fulvus':
>
>          Too many open files
>
> ERROR: Error reading reclass file for raster map <Eulemur_fulvus>
>
> Eulemur_fulvus is the 511th file on the list. From the help file, I
thought that using the file option will prevent one from hitting open files
limit and the size limit of command line arguments. Am I misunderstanding
the r.series helpfile?

the file option prevents too long command lines: instead of providing
hundreds of map names as input, only one file with the map names is provided

the manual is wrong:
Use the *file* option to analyze large amount of raster maps without
hitting open files limit and the size limit of command line arguments.

must be
Use the -z flag to analyze large amount of raster maps without hitting open
files limit and the *file* option to avoid hitting the size limit of
command line arguments.

Markus M