[GRASS-dev] Mixing vector and Raster input maps for a module

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 05:23:42 PDT 2018

Nikos,

I would personally keep modules simpler and make them do one task really
well (Unix philosophy ;-) unless there are multiple related tasks that
share a significant portion of the procedure. I would assume that
rasterization is a pre-processing step that needs to be done before using
your module, and it may not need to be done every time you run the module.
If this pre-processing doesn't require any special treatments to the input
raster, I would leave it out and just add some notes in the manual.

Best,
Huidae

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:29 AM, Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am concerned about mixing Vector and Raster maps as inputs in a
> module. I think it's less of a complication if a module considers either
> only Vector or Raster maps as inputs.
>
> Should I just not worry and mix these? The question is about
> user-friendliness.
>
> If tha add-on is exposed to QGIS, non-experienced users will be able to
> use it. Should they be forced to think about doing some rasterisation
> themselves? Or should the module do this job for them?
>
> This is a generic question. I much appreciate your thoughts.
>
> Nikos

Huidae Cho, Ph.D., PE, M.ASCE, CFM, GISP
Open Source GIS Developer, GRASS GIS Development Team