[GRASS-dev] Testing the new ZSTD raster compression - was: Re: GRASS GIS raster files: LZW compression?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sun Jun 10 11:44:19 PDT 2018

Nikos:

>> I am building a docker image, based on trunk, for which I need to ensure
>> that ZSTD is the default compressor.
>>
>> What is the way to pre-set this at the configuration step, before
>> compiling, so as to avoid to take care about it later on by setting
>> GRASS_COMPRESSOR?

Markus M:

>ZSTD is already the default compressor if available, no further settings
>needed.

Great!

However, descriptions of compressors in the raster indroduction for
trunk [0], are maybe confusing.

```
ZLIB
ZLIB's deflate is the default compression method for all raster maps.
```

and

```
ZSTD
... ZSTD is the recommended default compression method.
```

The same piece of text is used for `r.compress` [1].
[0] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/rasterintro.html
[1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/r.compress.html

I realised this before commenting in #3499. Yet, I thought "default" is ZLIB, and "recommended default" (like: "dear user,
it's best if you set ZSTD as the default") is ZSTD.

Nikos