[GRASS-dev] non-zero return code -11 from v.in.ogr in python script

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:27:03 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Stefan Blumentrath <
Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On a GRASS 7.4 installation from ubuntugis-unstable I get a “non-zero
return code -11” error when I try to import data from PostGIS using
v.in.ogr in a ython script.

> Looking at the post here:
>
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2016-March/079614.html
>
> it seems to be a version conflict but I double-checked and the GDAL
version on the system is exactly the one GRASS 7.4.0 on ubuntugis-unstable
is built against.

> This error is for some reason not popping up every time I run the script
but somewhat unpredictable...

> Does anyone of you have a suggestion on how to trac the cause for the
problem? Can it be linked to temporary files or NFS write instability…?

You need to get the exact options that cause v.in.ogr to fail, then run it
in the CLI with gdb and get the backtrace

gdb --args v.in.ogr in=... out=...

GRASS needs to be compiled with debugging enabled, i.e. the CFLAGS must
contain -g. See also the GRASS wiki page on debugging [0]

Markus M

[0] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Debugging#Using_GDB