[GRASS-dev] Installing non-standard Python addons in winGRASS

Michel Wortmann wortmann at pik-potsdam.de
Fri Jun 15 03:55:55 PDT 2018

Hi dev team,
What is the latest on the g.extension known issue (quoting the man page):
"On MS-Windows, only the official repository is working because there is no way of compiling the modules (a Python replacement for Python scripts should be implemented).”

I have come to appreciate g.extensions url argument to install my own Python addons (local or from GitHub), but when I share them with Windows users, they have difficulties installing them. What is the recommended method to install them on Windows? My add hoc solution would be to write a little install.py script that moves the scripts and docs to the relevant GRASS_ADDON_BASE locations and create the .batch files in bin. But that seems hacky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also volunteer to test/add a Python script installation function to g.extension, as hinted on in the man page.

Best regards,
Michel