[GRASS-dev] [EXTERNAL] [GRASS GIS] #3560: r.in.lidar: error to open valid LAZ file

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed May 9 13:02:54 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 9:37 PM, Newcomb, Doug <doug_newcomb at fws.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 3:21 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 9:17 PM, Newcomb, Doug <doug_newcomb at fws.gov>
>> wrote:
>> > Markus,
>> > Liblas reads LAS version 1.2 , which is limited to 4.2 billion points.
>>
>> I see. But "count" states 297.683.873 which is way less points?
>
> Good question
>
>> > You have to compile liblas with an older version of laszip .
>>
>> Uhm, why an _older_ version?
>
> The API to LASzip changed with version 3.   I use LASzip 2.2.0 compiled with
> liblas from 2013 and have no problems so far.   https://laszip.org/ The most
> recent version of 3  was for version 1.4 of the LAS spec.
>
> You need to compile current pdal and current  liblas with different versions
> of the Laszip library .

On that machine is PDAL-1.7.0 (wit patches) which requires laszip 3.2.x.

So, to compile liblas with an older laszip would be tricky.

> pdal used to output version 1.2 of las data by default . I t worked fine for
> me at version 1.6 . I have not checked if that is the case with version
> 1.7.1 .  1.7 had a bug which required a quick bugfix to 1.7.1, by the way. (
> I do not recall the bug off of the top of my head.)

The solution would be the implementation of r.in.pdal:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3515

to get rid of liblas which is not developed any more.

And/or package laz-perf.... sigh, so many hours already spent on packaging...

Markus