[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2018 report week 01 - GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection
Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun May 20 12:44:54 PDT 2018
Thanks for the comprehensive report!
One general hint: Even if the drawback is complex expression(s) I would suggest merging r.mapcalc calls. That can improve performance quite a bit (less data read and written) and reduces the need to manage temporary data.
See also: https://grass.osgeo.org/<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/r.mapcalc.html#multiple-computations>grass74<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/r.mapcalc.html#multiple-computations>/manuals/r.mapcalc.html#multiple-computations<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/r.mapcalc.html#multiple-computations>
If you don't need the first_... To fifth_... files later, I would even say everything in 3rd_procedure.py until r.to.vect could be solved in a single mapcalc operation...
Kind regards and again thank for your GSoC work,
From: grass-dev <grass-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of Roberta Fagandini <robifagandini at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 4:33:57 PM
To: soc at lists.osgeo.org; GRASS developers list
Subject: [GRASS-dev] GSoC 2018 report week 01 - GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection
I'm Roberta Fagandini and I'm working on my GSoC project, a GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection.
This is my report for the first week of coding.
Since my progress has been a bit faster than expected I have already discussed with my mentors about further additions to the project. Therefore I have already updated my wiki page  changing the timeline. In this way, I will be able to release a more complete module.
1) What did I complete this week?
* Checked the prototype version of the algorithm for cloud and shadow detection
* Tested it
* I better studied the documentation of the GRASS Python Scripting Library and started coding the GRASS python script following the workflow schema prepared during the bonding period 
* Coded the 'data preparation' phase
* Coded the clouds detection procedure
* Added this first part of python script to my GitHub repository 
* Discussed with my mentors about further additions
* Discussed with the community about testing phase. I received some feedback and some developers stepped forward to help me in testing the algorithm
* Shared progress with the community
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to code on Thursday because of a PhD meeting with my supervisor.
2) What am I going to achieve for next week?
* Finish the translation of the algorithm in a basic python script adding the shadows detection procedure and the steps for checking and cleaning the final outputs (see  for details)
* Improve the python script so as to have a "light" working python script (manage temporary file, clean up the code, etc.)
* Test it and fix bugs
* Start implementing the GUI
3) Is there any blocking issue?
No at the moment.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the grass-dev