[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3567: v.select: doubtful result with the default overlap operator selecting areas with lines

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Tue May 29 04:45:39 PDT 2018

#3567: v.select: doubtful result with the default overlap operator selecting areas
with lines
  Reporter:  mlennert     |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  closed
 Component:  Vector       |    Version:  svn-trunk
Resolution:  fixed        |   Keywords:  v.select overlap
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified

Comment (by mlennert):

 Replying to [comment:3 mmetz]:
 > Replying to [ticket:3567 mlennert]:
 > > Trying to select areas with lines, I get a result using the overlap
 operator that I don't really understand, and which I suspect being a bug.

 > > Using the following command in the attached location, test_vselect
 mapset:

 > > {{{
 > > v.select ain=test_polys bin=test_line atype=area btype=line
 out=result_overlap op=overlap
 > > }}}
 > >
 > > I get a result of only three areas selected (see attached map) where,
 IMHO, all 41 should be.

 > The problem was not the overlap operator of v.select, but instead that
 the vector test_line is 3D, and one of the underlying library functions
 did not ignore z as it should have done. This bug has been fixed in trunk
 and relbr74 with r72746,7.

 Thanks a lot ! Sorry, should have noticed the 3D nature of the vector
 myself. I guess there must have been a message at import which I didn't
 see.

 This obviously raises the question of whether v.select should always
 ignore 3D or whether a flag (-3) should allow enabling it so that if one
 wants to check spatial relation in 3D this is possible.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3567#comment:4>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>