[GRASS-dev] v.clip and latlon?

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Sun Nov 25 18:21:00 PST 2018

So some tests.

v.clip seems to work fine with the NC demo data both in State Plane and Latlon.

Back to the LatLon location for gshhs coastline data.

I was able to use v.select to get the equivalent of a clip using an area created with the region. v.clip on this subset does not work and produces an empty map. If I convert it to lines (v.type), then v.clip works. If I re-convert the lines map to boundaries again, v.clip again produces an empty map.

When I do any of these operations, I get a warning of a number of 'incorrect boundaries'. Running v.build doesn't seem to make any difference. Given all this, I'm assuming that the incorrect boundaries (whatever these are) are the problem with clipping this data set. v.select works but v.overlay does not for some reason.  It is a very large data set, so I can't really make it easily available--though it is the widely available coastline data that can be downloaded by anyone.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)