[GRASS-dev] area calculations in several GIS

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 06:01:24 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> wrote:

> Use GeographicLib/PROJ as the reference.

Which one? The results of Planimeter from GeographicLib and
geod_polygonarea() from PROJ are different. If in doubt, use Planimeter as
reference?

Markus M

> I would say that this polygon is large, yes. If you want to get a better
sense for what constitutes a large polygon in this sense, try creating a
series of polygons of varying size (e.g. polygons of your house, your city,
your county, your country and your continent) and calculate the area with
both GRASS and GeographicLib. At some point the calculated areas should
start to diverge significantly. I suspect it happens somewhere between
county and country.

> /Kristian

different results than geod_polygonarea(). I’ll run that by Charles Karney
when I get a chance.

> for completeness, I used geod_polygonarea() from proj-5.2.0
>

> >> Regarding areas in projected space: UTM is not area true, laea is but
is instead scewing angles. You can check that stuff by running proj in very
verbose mode.

> [...]
>

> > So yes, the LAEA is the better choice of the two but it is never going
to represent the true area, especially for large polygons, and I would not
advice using it as reference for ellipsoidal area calculations.

> The question is, what can be used as reference? And is the test polygon a
"large" polygon, causing "large" deviations from the true area when
measured in LAEA?

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Re-Qgis-user-New-Features-in-Shape-Tools-3-2-0-td5378898.html

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2018-September/054644.html

> > > with GRASS mentioned
> > > ------------------
> > > Kristian Evers:
> > >
> > > Right, here are the calculated areas as returned by a number of
different
> > > GIS applications and the planimeter app of GeographicLib for
reference:

> > > Caris LOTS: 14.737 km^2
> > > ArcMap:     14.727,446 km^2
> > > MapInfo:    14.727,352 km^2
> > > GeoMedia:   14.726,443 km^2
> > > Planimeter: 14.722,522 km^2
> > > QGIS 3.2:   14.652,181 km^2
> > > QGIS 2.8:   14.652,181 km^2
> >

> > adding to the confusion:
> >

> > I used the geographiclib API as included in PROJ 5.2.0 following the
example for geod_polygonarea() in geodesic.h and get