[GRASS-dev] v.in.ogr and v.import do not import all features in gpkg file

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 06:03:53 PDT 2018

markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>) escribió:

>> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 2:11 PM Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > A follow up:
>> >
>> > If I convert the gpkg to shapefile and import into GRASS, then all
points are imported:

>> > v.import input=central.shp layer=central output=central --overwrite
>> > Check if OGR layer <central> contains polygons...
>> > Creating attribute table for layer <central>...
>> > Importing 30 features (OGR layer <central>)...
>> > -----------------------------------------------------
>> > Building topology for vector map <central at testing>...
>> > Registering primitives...
>> > Input <central.shp> successfully imported without reprojection
>> >
>> > v.db.select -c central | wc -l
>> > 30
>> >
>> > What could be the problem with gpkg and how to test further??
>>
>> The problem is that the bounding box included in the gpkg does not cover
all points: these missing 2 points are outside the bbox embedded in the
gpkg. As a safety measure, v.in.ogr applies a spatial filter using the
input layer's bbox to exclude corrupt features (previously observed in some
shapefiles). This spatial filter is passed directly to OGR and as a
consequence, OGR provides only 28 and not 30 points to v.in.ogr.

> And how is this bounding box created/defined, I was not aware of it.

It is created by the software that created that layer.
> I only converted from .kml to gpkg and then imported into GRASS.

In this case something must have gone wrong when converting from kml to
gpkg.

>> I am not sure what to do about this. Disable this safety check again?
>

> Maybe the bb safety check makes sense for features other than points,
dunno. Others can for sure tell some use cases that I am not aware of. But
I can say that it is pretty striking to see that some features are "eaten
and lost" when importing into GRASS while ogr and others show everything.

> What about a flag? Import all by default and the safety check with a
flag? Or at least a note in the manual page of v.in.ogr

I would rather disable this safety check if it does more harm than good.

Markus M