[GRASS-dev] Package grass installed by pip is not GRASS GIS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 06:56:30 PDT 2018

[was:[GRASS-user] Using grass.script in Jupyter (Azure)]

Dear all,

in less than two days, I have seen two users reporting "I have successfully
installed GRASS using pip" (see e.g. the post to the grass-user list below,
cc'ed).

It is an an unfortunate situation because there is a package called `grass`
unrelated to GRASS GIS project. See:

https://pypi.org/project/grass/

The package installs a executable called `grass` and of course a Python
package called grass. See also:

https://github.com/COMBINE-lab/GRASS

What do you think would be the best course of action?

Thanks,
Vaclav

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:18 AM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mehrdad Varedi <varedi at gmail.com> schrieb am Mi., 10. Okt. 2018, 03:25:
>>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I want to develop a program using GRASS python libraries in Jupyter(on
Azure). All codes begin with:

>> import grass.script as gscript
>>
>> of course the grass.script is not available in Jupyter. I tried to
install GRASS

>> I used: !pip install GRASS
>> and it worked like a charm, although I can't have access to grass.script.
>> Sorry if it is a silly question, although I apreciate any idea to begin
programming GRASS on Azure.

> Please check the Jupyter examples here:
>
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Jupyter_notebooks
>
> They may give you a start. Please let us know how it goes and feel free
to add your notes to the wiki page.