[GRASS-dev] v.in.ogr and v.import do not import all features in gpkg file

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 13:10:48 PDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:37 AM Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:

> trešd., 2018. g. 10. okt., plkst. 16:04 — lietotājs Markus Metz
> (<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>) rakstīja:

> > > Maybe the bb safety check makes sense for features other than points,
dunno. Others can for sure tell some use cases that I am not aware of. But
I can say that it is pretty striking to see that some features are "eaten
and lost" when importing into GRASS while ogr and others show everything.

> > > What about a flag? Import all by default and the safety check with a
flag? Or at least a note in the manual page of v.in.ogr

> > I would rather disable this safety check if it does more harm than good.

I have disabled this safety check in trunk r73522.

> I would vote for:
> 1) adding a flag to activate safety check;
> 2) disable safety check by default;
> 3) add a check "point in bbox" during import and print a warning if
> any point of any geometry is outside of bbox (aka safety check without
> action).

In this case there should also be a check "line in bbox" and "polygon in
bbox".

Right now we let OGR do all the spatial filtering which works just fine,
often using features of the underlying vector format. I would prefer to
leave this to OGR and not do this in GRASS.

Markus M